19 Sep Mark Waller
Mark’s experience is largely in the technology and financial services sector. He has experience in listing a company, M&A and capital raisings. He has a degree in commerce majoring in Law and Accounting and is a CPA.
Mark’s core skills are in strategy setting and driving businesses towards achieving that strategy. Mark has very strong financial and analytical skills which have aided him in his successes.
Mark worked for a small firm in public practice before moving to Ernst & Young in 2002. After a period of time in Ernst & Young, Mark moved overseas establishing his own business in the construction industry which he ran for eighteen months before selling the business and moving back to Perth.
From 2005 to 2016 Mark was the Chief Financial Officer and Company Secretary of listed company Empired Ltd (ASX:EPD). Major achievements at Empired were:
- Growing the business from 20 people to 1,000 people.
- Expanding from WA to every state in Australia as well as Singapore, New Zealand and North America.
- Growing revenue from $2m to $160m. Maintaining an average 10% profit margin throughout the growth.
- Listing Empired on ASX in 2007.
- Divestment of noncore assets.
- Acquisition of six companies to assist in accelerating the company’s strategy.
- Consolidation of core operating systems and reporting across the business.
From 2006 to 2010 Mark was also a Director of public unlisted company BigRedSky Limited. After divesting this asset from Empired and raising a small amount of money, an online candidate management system was built and commercialised growing from one customer to over a hundred in a small period of time, surpassing the breakeven point at which time Thomson Reuters acquired the business.
In 2017 Mark and his business partner started Forrest Private Wealth via the acquisition of three businesses. Forrest Private Wealth is a growing wealth management business with over $150m in funds under management and over 500 clients Australia wide.
In 2018 Mark and his business partners launched SOT Corporate and SOT Business Brokers. The SOT team provide expert support no matter where a business falls within its life cycle. Key areas of specialty include business growth, M&As, IPOs and buying/selling small businesses.